Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Drift Drift and Away!!!!!!!! A Series of Lefts

The first of several pics I took, I thought that the carving of the sun into a side walk was unique as it was also by itself much like the sun that heats up our planet it kind of jumped off of the floor at me and said capture my essence which seems to be a radiant light among nothingness.

The second photo of the big sqaure structure caught my attention because of the shape, in art shapes represent certain aspects or traits and  the shape of a square is symbolic for power and groundedness. Would it be a surprise than to know that this structure is a bank?

Third Photo: Notice the contrast between shapes the circle which represents eternity and calmness triangles represent energy and stimulation. With the big square structure in the back and the mix of different elements and traits in front I thought this made for an interesting layout saying I am multidimensional and I stand out from the norms of society.


The fourth and fifth photo go hand in hand as the first represents to me, the structure that socitey says is acceptable and second is almost an unconscious portrayal of that same social structure through some ones hard labor. The lines the lines the lines, orderly and repititious oh how we love the lines or as I would say the restrictions.
 Six and sven screamed out to me saying take me lol, but in all seriousness this seemingly random splotch of multiple colors on the wall are somone's way of expressing how they feel or even possible vandalism which in return is the same thing; a young adolescent acting out on his/her emotions and I thought it was powerful that this was next to the next two photos all representing some aspect of street art appreciation either indirectly or otherwise.


  

Eight and nine also are representative of street art with the grafitti on the cages which symbolizes the restricted and some what scewed stereotype placed on street art. I think the G is special to me as it is bold and looks to almost defy its cage resulting in defying the stereotypes.
The tenth image captures my attention because I was looking at the contrast of natural and industrial landscapes and how there were some areas that had predominantly structuralized buildings. Any person can tell that the broken pieces of cement in the middle was man made or caused, however the natural earth breaks through this man made boundary (concrete) and splits the ground further as if to say I will be here longer than you. Most of what I looked at was involved with shapes, lines and environment but I have more to share so tune in.
When I looked at this I thought of the memorial for the Vietnam veterans created by Mia Lynn. Even though its nowhere near as impactual as the Vietnam memorial, it captured the essence of the moment for me. Now I can't be sure if the men in the photo are in fact veterans but for them to be setting there enjoying the moment it seemed like a place that serves its purpose. The landscape and the architecture flow well with each other and it depicts a representational form bringing the memory of those who served the country to immortality.

1 comment: